Activities Glacier Tours Ice Cave Tours Snowmobile Tours
Into and Above the Glacier
Snowmobile across the vast snowy wastes of an Icelandic glacier and then descend deep below the ice cap's surface and explore a fantastic Ice Cave.
Ride a snowmobile to the Ice cave
We set off from Reykjavík towards Icelandic highlands above Húsafell in West Iceland in the early morning for a glacier experience like no other. This tour includes a snowmobile ride up the vast snowy terrain of the second largest glacier in Iceland followed by a walk through the magnificent man-made ice cave.
From the glacier base camp at Jaki we start our tour of the Langjökull Glacier Ice Cap. We begin with putting on the necessary clothing and getting our helmets fitted, we then listen to the safety briefing from our guide before we head out on our snowmobile tour. Then we´re ready to drive off across the glacier´s vast snowy wonderland and marvel at the incredible surroundings. We will actually drive our snowmobiles to the famous ice cave!
After riding the snowmobiles up the glacier we walk down into the glacier, Your expert guide will take you on this fantastic journey to the icy netherworld deep within the glacier.
Until very recently what lies beneath the surface of Langjökull was a mystery. But sometimes bold ideas become a reality and this seemingly impossible feat of creating a 500 meter long ice cave was made possible through the combined efforts of the country´s top engineers and geo-physicists. Inside the glacier the temperature is usually around zero degrees Celsius or 32 Fahrenheit.
After snowmobiling and exploring the Ice Cave we make our way back down to civilization, or to the small village of Húsafell.
- Knowledgeable local guide
- Exhilarating snowmobile ride and crampons for walking into the ice cave
- All necessary equipment for snowmobiling (helmet, gloves, snow-suit)
- Approximately 1 hour guided tour in the Ice Cave
- Admission to the Ice Cave
• Tours depart from the Reykjavik Terminal located at Skógarhlíð 10. Please be sure to arrive 15 minutes prior to departure along with a printed or digital copy of your ticket/voucher.
• If you have booked a hotel pickup with Smartbus™, please be at your chosen pickup location 30 minutes before the departure of the tour. Look for the Green Smartbus™ which will be outside your accommodation at within the 30 minutes of pickup.
For your comfort: Since you will be entering an ice cave which is at 0° Celsius or 32° Fahrenheit we recommend not only warm clothing, but also waterproof clothing as well. Waterproof jacket and pants, headwear and gloves, and warm socks/waterproof shoes are essential for staying warm and dry during the visit into the ice cave.
Please note that your tour will start from Reykjavik Terminal, Skógarhlíð 10, 105 Reykjavik. Please be there at least 15 minutes before your chosen departure time. Add Pick Up & Drop Off for 1.400.- ISK. FREE for children
The starting point for Reykjavik Sightseeing Tours.
Reykjavik Terminal, Skógarhlíð 10, 105 Reykjavik.
- 11 hours
- Price From:
- 39.990 ISK